Skip to main content

Go Team GB


Hello Everyone! Welcome to my first blog post. I would like to begin by sharing my experience with my love of trampolining.
You must fall in love with the sport and i believe that is the true secret to success. 

Trampolining has this feeling of wonder, joy and empowerment. It brings a variety of people together with the same drive and passion. Those who know me well, will probably remember me bouncing around or always training and being away for competitions… yip that’s me!
It all began with my mum taking me to a trampoline recreational class at age 4 down at the local high school… from there I was straight away recruited by East Kilbride Trampoline Club, where I trained for 15 years continuously. Sport is so important, you build friendships that are rare and meaningful, your team will support you and see you at your highest highs and lowest lows. I met many amazing people during my time at EKTC who I am still best friends with now. #Trampolinefamily

Louise Whitters upside down on trampoline at Scottish National Championships


Group picture of East Kilbride Trampoline Club at Scottish ChampionshipsIn 2009 I complete a series of trials to be part of the GB team for the World Championships. I was 12 years old and in the highest competitive level for my age- FIG B. From completing these trials for the individual event, I was selected for the GB team to compete in the World Championships in St Petersburg, Russia. Surprisingly, i was also asked by one of the GB coaches Jay Scouler to compete with a girl from my age group Daina James in the synchronised event. I was overwhelmed with excitement! I done it!

Pre champions-  During this time, training was intense and I was continually pushed by my talented coach Nicola Grassom and the other wonderful coaches at EKTC. At this time, i would train a minimum of 5 times a week on the trampoline and various gym and stretching sessions to ensure I was performing at my best. The day the GB kit was sent to my house was absolutely extraordinary, we were given a full training and competition tracksuit, different styled tops and polo shirts, training and competition leotards, shorts, bags- you name it! #BUZZ #TeamGB

At 12 years old, I had no fear I was completely excited for my trip across the world, even though i would be away from my mum and dad. I’m an only child you see, my family are the most important thing and has always been there 24/7. But this was my time and I had to accept the challenge and be strong! When I was in Russia, I admit I called my family a good few times on my cool flip up pink Samsung. Which I didn't realise would ultimately cost a total of £280!! Whoops!! Mega phone bill.

The day of the competition, my family and coach surprised me by travelling to Russia to watch. I was completely overwhelmed, but I had to focus and go over my routines again and again in my head. Everyone has their own wee thing they do when they compete… mine was standing with my ear phones in and listening to my favourite Beyoncé songs “uh oh uh oh uh oh”.
For some reason I loved the pressure and I wanted to be the best, I was so young and determined, nothing was getting in my way. I completed my individual event and was ranked 15th place (I mean I was super chuffed) but amazingly myself and Daina competed in the synchronised event with minimal training together only in separate sports halls and we got 2nd place!
2nd in the world! Thanks Jay for putting us together!

Standing on that podium was the proudest moment of my life to date. From then I always wanted to feel this proud, make others happy and Scotland on the map.

Daina and Louise holding our 2nd place medal at World Championships
Daina and myself age 12 holding our 2nd place World Championship Medal

Have that focus and drive and you can do anything! You need to work for it, it might not be easy, but when your standing on your own podium… you just know. I TOTALLY SMASHED IT. 
… Be Your Own Inspiration

Chat soon 
Louise Whitters  


Comments

  1. Great blog Louise very inspirational to anyone who reads it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Circus, Circus, Circus

Why not? Let’s join the circus! From being involved with trampolining, I began to love watching a variety of acrobatics and I absolutely idolised Cirque Du Soleil. At the international trampolining competitions talent scouts were always present and I was looking out for them... and trying to get their attention.... I do enjoy the spotlight may I add.....  I have  submitted a show reel to Cirque.... however, nothing came of it, as I was too young or didn't have the specific skills as required ...a little sad but I had to ensure that didn't demotivate me.  For my 15 th Birthday, my mum gave me a voucher  to take a friend with me and attend a "Circus Blast" at one of the Circus’s in Glasgow- Spinal Chord.  She thought it would be a fun experience to go along and "give us a laugh". I went along with one of my school friends and I absolutely loved it.... but wow I had no upper body strength....  NOW ... I found this was my new passion... .Performi

Accept the Challenge!

Always take the leap of faith.... and Jump In! Where am I now? Loving events, during my HND at South Lanarkshire College, I was undertaking a unit named- “Managing an Event”. This was to be completed as group work, therefore one of my classmates Taylor and I paired up to complete the project. We decided to host an EK Bake Off, as the bake off was our favourite TV programme.... and  I love baking …seemed like the right thing to do ....Although I am terrible at baking... but I do love eating cakes….. so basically that was it decided. The theme for this event was to involve the community and to bring people together. I firstly suggested a sports day at a local primary school… however my inspiring lecturer Tarryn convinced me to challenge myself with something completely different to shows, or sports competitions ….. BAKE OFF IT IS! The day of the bake off was a phenomenal success, we put so much time into contacting the venue, bringing in EK community trust, and event